Traditional Vs Holistic Dentistry
The difference between holistic and traditional dentistry is approach each dentist uses when treating their patients. A conventional dentist treats symptoms in teeth and gums when they become problems. They also attempt to prevent such issues from reoccurring. A holistic dentist treats the underlying dental problems that cause symptoms in the mouth. They also try to eliminate those issues by preventing the negative effect on your overall health.
Differences Between Traditional And Holistic Dental Treatments
Since traditional dentistry focuses on treating the problem with the teeth, gum, and other oral tissue, and holistic dentistry deals with the patient’s overall well-being, the procedures used in both forms of dentistry are different. The differences between holistic dentistry and conventional dentistry procedures include the following:
- Fluoride Treatment: Fluoride is a mineral primarily found in water, rock, and other natural resources. Dentists use fluoride therapies to strengthen the teeth and bones and in traditional dentistry as a preventive measure. However, in most cases, holistic dentistry does not support the use of fluoride. They sometimes don’t keep it because an overdose of fluoride can cause fluorosis, which is toxic to the body.
- Root Canal Therapy: In traditional dentistry, root canal therapy removes an infected or dead tooth pulp. However, holistic dentists rarely recommend this procedure because of the toxic chemicals used in sterilizing the tooth. Also, in holistic dentistry, it is believed that root canal therapy is not entirely effective and can cause more harm than good.
- Tooth Filling: Mercury is a metal traditional dentists use in tooth fillings that can be toxic and a danger to your dental and overall health. Holistic dentists use tooth-colored resin to fill cavities and practice safe mercury removal techniques when removing and replacing mercury tooth fillings.
- Dental X-Ray: Holistic dentists use digital X-rays which expose you to about 80% less radiation than traditional X-rays.
- Biocompatible Materials: Holistic dentists always test every material used in dental procedures to prevent adverse reactions.
Benefits of A Holistic Dentist Vs Traditional Dentist
- Uses natural and non-toxic materials which are safer and healthier for the body.
- Our La Mesa holistic dentists use a holistic approach to treat dental problems. This allows our dentists to address and treat the root cause of the problem.
- Minimizes the use of X-rays and other diagnostic tools that emit harmful radiation.
- Promotes overall wellness by educating patients on healthy lifestyle habits that can improve their oral and overall health.
- Reduces anxiety and fear of dental procedures by incorporating relaxation techniques, such as meditation or aromatherapy.