At SmileHaven Dental Center, we believe we stand out from other natural dental practices in and around La Mesa and El Cajon, CA. because we’re dedicated to providing holistic dentistry for our patients. If you’re not terribly familiar with the terminology, don’t worry – you’re not alone! Many patients aren’t familiar with all the benefits that holistic dentistry can provide them, which is why we’d like to take the time to tell you more about this terrific approach to dentistry.
What Is a Holistic Dentist?
A holistic dentist believes that a person’s oral health is connected to the health of the rest of the body (Click to see meridian tooth chart) and will place an emphasis on bio-compatible whole body dentistry and whole-body healing and wellness.
Principles of a Holistic Dentist
Your La Mesa and El Cajon, CA holistic dentist follows the principles of holistic dentistry, which can differ from a traditional or natural dentist.
- A holistic dentist understands how toxins affect a patient’s overall health. Dr. Stephen Chan DMD only uses non-toxic, biologically safe restorative materials and knows how your oral health affects the entire body.
- A holistic dentist does not use metals (i.e. gold, aluminum, nickel, palladium, or mercury) in your mouth. Metals and mercury fillings contain toxins and cause galvanization to occur. Cellphone use and Radio Frequency Electro Magnetic Frequencies (EMFs) cause increased release of toxic metals into the saliva, digestive system, and bloodstream. Instead, Dr. Stephen Chan will use non-metal, safe dental materials and mercury-free fillings to avoid these issues. If any metal or mercury is already present in your mouth, Dr. Stephen Chan can safely remove it.
- A holistic dentist does not use fluoride as it has numerous toxic effects in the body. It is a neurotoxin damaging peripheral nerves and the central nervous sytem. It affects thyroid function, binds with calcium, and other minerals in the body. In the stomach, it combines with mercury and stomach acids and disrupts normal stomach acid function.
- A holistic dentist focuses on preventing and treating gum disease from a biological perspective, without the use of antibiotics. A holistic dentist believes restoring the protective bacterial balance in your mouth will treat and prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and tooth loss. When there is tooth decay, Dr. Stephen Chan will use the least invasive and least traumatic methods to preserve as much healthy tooth structure as possible.
- A holistic dentist does not recommend root canals as they can have adverse health effects in the long run. Dr. Stephen Chan will recommend the tooth be removed and will explain the healthy options available to you to deal with the missing tooth.
- A holistic dentist will encourage patients to maintain healthy, organic, vegetable-rich diets to stay healthy in order to prevent or reverse oral disease.
- A holistic dentist will educate you on the effects of cellphone use, Wi-Fi, and exposure to Radio Frequencies and/or Electro Magnetic Frequencies (EMFs) and how they affect your oral and overall health.
Come Visit Your La Mesa and El Cajon, CA Holistic Dentist!
If you’re interested in our El Cajon and La Mesa, CA holistic dentistry, we encourage you to please stop by and see us! To schedule an appointment with us, feel free to give us a call at (619) 464-2801. Alternatively, you can do so by filling out our appointment request form. We’re looking forward to seeing you and helping you attain a healthier mouth – and a healthier body as well!