Bio-Compatible, Cosmetic Dental Care in La Mesa, CA
At Smilehaven Dental, we offer a variety of general and cosmetic dental treatments to patients of all ages in the La Mesa and San Diego area. We focus on bio-compatible dentistry, which means that we believe in embracing how oral health and overall health are connected. We also know how important a beautiful smile is to your self-esteem and confidence. Using the latest dental procedures and the most effective technology in the industry, Dr. Chan and his friendly staff provide cosmetic dental solutions guaranteed to restore your smile to perfection. Whether your teeth are decayed, cracked or damaged, we offer crowns, inlays and onlays. Read on to learn how we can help restore your smile.
When a tooth is cracked, damaged or decayed, a custom-made crown is often used to cover the tooth. Crowns can be made from only zirconium . Although porcelain has the most natural appearance, it is often less durable and prone to cracking. Our office prefers Zirconium crowns which has a natural appearance, considered to be the most durable and are bio-compatible.
What To Expect During Your Treatment
The process usually consists of two to three visits over a period of about a month. You can also expect the following to happen during your treatment:
- Your tooth will be numbed prior to removing the decay in or around it.
- Chan will re-sculpt your tooth to create an ideal fit for the crown.
- We’ll take an impression of your teeth to help us create your custom-made crown, which will take about one to two weeks.
- You’ll receive a temporary crown made from acrylic resin that will fit onto your tooth as you wait for your custom-made crown.
- Once your custom-made crown is finished, you’ll come back to the office to have the permanent crown placed.
- Once Dr. Chan ensures that the crown has the proper look and fit, he will cement it into place.
Caring For Your Crown
Once we complete your procedure, you will have to follow a strict dental hygiene regimen that includes daily brushing and flossing, which is essential for maintaining healthy, bacteria-free teeth, gums and crowns. Proper oral hygiene also prevents gum disease and will help your crowns last a lifetime.
INLAYS AND ONLAYS
Dr. Chan also provides inlays and onlays as a great alternative to traditional fillings. Inlays and onlays are indirect restorations because less of the tooth structure needs to be removed. Most patients receive this sort of dental procedure when they are experiencing the following problems:
- Mild to moderate tooth decay.
- Cracked or fractured tooth in need of restoration.
- Tooth damage that does not require a crown.
Basically, inlays work by fitting within the contours of the biting surface of a tooth. Onlays, on the other hand, cover a portion or the entire chewing surface. Both inlays and onlays can be made from porcelain, gold or composite resin and are securely bonded to your tooth once they are made.
Advantages Of Inlays And Onlays
Inlays and onlays come with many advantages, including the following:
- Unlike traditional metal fillings, inlays and onlays are aesthetically pleasing because they can be made from tooth-colored materials.
- They provide optimal results without excessive removal of tooth structure.
- They don’t damage opposing tooth structures.
- Prevent the need for more significant dental treatment in the future.
What To Expect When You Receive Inlays Or Onlays
The process for placing inlays and onlays generally requires two or more visits with Dr. Chan and may include the following procedures:
- Initially, we numb your tooth to remove any decay.
- Next, we take an impression of your tooth.
- We place a temporary restoration over your tooth until your custom made inlay/onlay is manufactured in a laboratory.
- Once your inlay or onlay is ready, Dr. Chan will take out the temporary restoration and replace it with your customized inlay or onlay.
How To Take Care Of Your Inlay Or Onlay
Caring for your inlay/onlay is similar to caring for a crown. Per usual, a proper oral hygiene regimen is required to ensure the success and longevity of your new restoration. Once you have your inlay/onlay, be sure to brush and floss on a regular basis. This will prevent any future problems, such as gum disease.
Contact Your Local La Mesa Bio-Compatible Whole Body Dentist
To begin your journey to a perfectly timeless smile, contact us today and schedule an appointment. If you have any questionsabout our procedures or are interested in learning more about our practice and services, please do not hesitate to give us a call at (619) 464-2801. We look forward to helping you achieve the smile you have always wanted!