Comprehensive Dental Care in La Mesa, CA
At Smilehaven Dental Center, we believe everyone deserves a healthy, beautiful smile they’re proud to call their own. As a leading dentist, we’re proud to offer comprehensive dental treatments to our patients, including everything from general and biocompatible dentistry to cosmetic dentistry and restorative treatments. We place a focus on preventive dentistry at our practice, but sometimes problems do come up. And while every patient is different, the vast majority of dental issues come from a number of common dental conditions.
Common Dental Issues
If you think you’re experiencing a dental health problem, chances are, it’s one of a narrow range of common issues. Thankfully, we treat all of these dental problems every single day – so no matter what’s bothering you, we can help repair your teeth and restore your healthy smile.
- Dental Decay & Cavities: By far the most common condition, decay occurs when naturally-occurring bacteria release acid as a byproduct of digesting sugar. This acid eats away at the enamel, the hard outer layer of the teeth. WIthout proper oral hygiene or treatment, the acid can eat all the way through the enamel and form a hole, called a cavity.
- Cosmetic Problems: Even if the issue isn’t functional or pathological, we believe patients should truly feel proud to show off their smile. Most people have at least a few things they’re dissatisfied with in their smile, and we offer a range of cosmetic treatments to help each patient achieve the best possible smile.
- Periodontal Disease: Also called gum disease, this is a progressive condition caused by bacterial infection of the gums. The first stage of periodontal disease, called gingivitis, causes soreness, inflammation, and tenderness in the gums. But if left to progress long enough, gingivitis can morph into periodontitis, which can threaten the health of both the gums and the teeth.
- Sensitive Teeth: Tooth sensitivity is a common problem marked by an extreme sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures. Normally, sensitivity occurs when dentin, the material underneath enamel, is exposed due to a crack, decay, or weakened enamel.
- Tooth Erosion: This refers to the process of losing tooth enamel, either due to bacteria, tooth grinding, or even acidic food. Erosion can lead to both sensitivity and cavities.
- Bad Breath: Also called halitosis, chronic bad breath usually occurs due to gases released by bacteria growing in the tongue or mouth. Often, poor oral hygiene is the underlying cause.
Schedule a Consultation with Your La Mesa, CA Holistic Dentist
These issues are quite common, and thankfully, they’re all treatable. If you think you may be suffering from one of the dental conditions above, schedule a consultation at our practice using our easy online form. We’ll help you understand your dental situation, create a plan for treatment, and set you on the path towards a healthy smile. We can’t wait to hear from you!