Ozone is a powerful oxidizer that allows holistic dentists like Dr. Chan to kill the bacteria in your mouth without harsh chemicals or antibiotics. Furthermore, it can help facilitate quicker healing in your mouth. Patients looking for Ozone therapy treatments can contact SmileHaven Dental Center. Our San Diego holistic dentists offers San Diego patients ozone therapy for its many benefits on teeth and overall wellness.
Controlling infection is one of the trickiest problems in dentistry. Mouths are home to countless microorganisms, most living in balance with the human body. However, if the wrong pathogen takes up residence, infection can result. The difficulty results from the fact that each potential infection-causing pathogen needs a different type of drug to combat it. That is, until the advent of oxygen/ozone therapy.
Oxygen/ozone therapy breaks up the biofilm that these pathogens reside in with a “transient oxidative burst”, causing the pathogens to overexert themselves and die. This burst also encourages good blood flow and enhanced immune system response, increasing your body’s natural ability to fight infection. Ozone therapy is also effective in teeth whitening.
And most importantly, the materials needed for this treatment are entirely natural and bio-compatible: allergies and sensitivity to oxygen and ozone is biologically impossible. Ozone is simply a charged form of oxygen that is formed naturally by the sun and lightning.
Benefits & Advantages of Ozone Therapy
Ozone is an oxygen molecule that’s more reactive than the type we use to power our bodies. Exposing ozone to microbes like the bacteria that cause cavities scrambles their DNA and prevents them from metabolizing energy. However, when it contacts your tissues, it oxygenates your bloodstream, allowing the body to heal faster. This win-win scenario makes ozone a versatile therapy for various dental problems.
Fluoride treatment has been the “go-to” to strengthen teeth and kill bacteria in your mouth for decades. However, there’s growing evidence that exposure to high levels of fluoride can cause more harm than good by disturbing bone homeostasis and tooth enamel development. Ozone can kill bacteria in your mouth on contact, promote remineralization, strengthen your teeth’s enamel, and reverse early dental caries.
Ozone Therapy & Dental Treatments
Our San Diego holistic dentists utilize ozone therapy to sterilize treatment areas and facilitate faster healing after procedures. Ozone can improve the outcome of various treatments by killing oral bacteria and enhancing your body’s immune system. Ozone therapy can be used during routine dental cleaning to restore and repair your gums and get your teeth even cleaner. Ozone will also raise your mouth’s pH levels, which means once the bacteria are dead, they will stay away for a more extended period.
- Tooth decay ~ If our La Mesa holistic dentists finds small dental caries in your teeth, they can use ozone therapy to stop deterioration and allow the enamel to repair itself, preventing filling and avoiding the drill.
- Gum disease ~ ozone treatment can penetrate your teeth and soft tissues and remove the infection. It can also promote gum reattachment, so oral bacteria won’t have a place to gather in your mouth when you brush.
- Extractions ~ Ozone therapy can sterilize the root’s socket and stimulate your soft tissues for quicker healing.
- Mercury amalgam removal ~ Our holistic dentists can safely replace them with a biologically compatible filling. Ozone therapy helps detoxify the site and reduce your exposure to toxic metals.
- Soft tissue abscesses and ulcerations (Oral Sores) ~ Ozone quickly relieves cold and canker sores.
- Tooth Extraction ~ Ozone therapy cleanses the socket and stimulates the body’s natural ability to heal by increasing circulation.
- Tooth Sensitivity ~ Ozone helps to harden compromised tooth structure, reducing sensitivity from acid erosion or soft enamel. It also hardens root surfaces exposed to gum recession.
Ozone Therapy Expectations
Your La Mesa holistic dentist at SmileHaven Dental Center can administer dental ozone treatment as either liquid or gas. When used as a liquid, we can rinse and disinfect the mouth with ozonated water. Furthermore, we may mix the ozone with oils before applying it.
When used as a gas, ozone is administered through a custom handpiece. Dentists most commonly use his method when cleaning out pockets that have formed due to periodontal disease.
Biological / Holistic Approach To Dentistry
Our holistic dentists at SmileHaven Dental Center is committed to preventative dental care and stunning restorations that do not rely on harsh chemicals or materials that irritate your body. By taking a holistic approach, we can preserve as much of your natural teeth as possible while minimizing the stress on your body during advanced dental care.
Schedule An Ozone Therapy Treatment Today!
Contact our La Mesa dental team at SmileHaven Dental Center at (619) 464-2801 to schedule an appointment and learn more about our holistic practice. As highly trained holistic dentists in San Diego, we treat patients from throughout San Diego County including, La Mesa, Grossmont, Santee, Lakeside, Spring Valley, and more.