Dental crowns are a type of dental restoration that is used to cover a damaged or decayed tooth. They are made of a variety of materials, including porcelain, metal, and ceramic. Dental crowns are a popular choice for tooth restoration because they are durable, long-lasting, and can be customized to match the natural appearance of your teeth.
Why Are Dental Crowns So Popular?
There are a number of reasons why dental crowns are so popular. First, they are very durable. Dental crowns are made of strong materials that can withstand the forces of chewing and biting. This makes them a good choice for teeth that are damaged or decayed.
Second, dental crowns are long-lasting. With proper care, dental crowns can last for many years. This makes them a good investment for your oral health.
Third, dental crowns can be customized to match the natural appearance of your teeth. This is important for many people who want to improve the appearance of their smile.
Types of Crowns
There are a variety of different types of dental crowns available. The type of crown that is best for you will depend on the specific needs of your teeth.
- Porcelain crowns are made of a ceramic material that is similar to the natural enamel of your teeth. Porcelain crowns are a good choice for people who want to improve the appearance of their smile.
- Metal crowns are made of a metal alloy. We do not use this material for safety reasons.
How Are Dental Crowns Applied?
The process of applying a dental crown will vary depending on the type of crown that is being used. However, the general steps involved are as follows:
- The dentist will prepare the tooth by removing any decay or damage.
- The dentist will take an impression of the tooth or scan it using computer imagery.
- The impression will be sent to a dental laboratory, where the crown will be made.
- The dentist will return the crown to the patient and place it on the tooth.
The Cost of Crowns
The cost of dental crowns will vary depending on the type of crown that is being used, the location of your dentist, and your insurance coverage. However, in general, dental crowns are a relatively affordable option for tooth restoration.
If you are considering dental crowns, be sure to talk to your dentist about the best option for your needs.